Brake system questions

Subject: Brake system questions
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:54:34 -0400
This question is mostly to tap the combined brain trust of the list.

Our 66 had a single piston brake M/C.  Don't like the idea of running all four
corners on one circuit, so I'm replacing that with a 7/8 bore double M/C from
a 75 280Z ( NIB left over from building the Z).

Initially I'm going to use the stock front calipers since the cylinders are
good and they have good stopping power ( may do the Volvo thing down the
road).  The 66 did not have any valves of any sort in the hydraulic system -
no combination, metering, or proportioning.  Only had a 4-way junction block
with the brake light switch.

I know I will need to be able to adjust the front / rear bias, so I have a
proportioning valve that will be installed in the rear line.

Most modern disk/drum systems have a metering valve ( usually in the
combination valve) which does not apply any pressure to the fronts before the
rear line pressure builds to approx 75psi, purportedly to move the rear shoes
into contact, against the spring retraction force, before the fronts.
The research I've done on the web and usenet has yielded an evenly matched
camp of opinions - you know, just like certain anatomy parts, everyone's got
one... some say you absolutely need a metering valve, others just as adamantly
say you don't.
There are a couple of aftermarket stree rod brake system manufactures that
have these - Master Power and ECI, and they say you need one ( course they
also sell em too)

What's the consensus here?

Mark Sedlack
OROC