RE: smoke revisisted, oil burning, and brake fluid

To: "Mike" <datsun_sports@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: smoke revisisted, oil burning, and brake fluid
From: "Brian Hollands" <Brian_Hollands@adp.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:03:19 -0400
Another way to look for oil from the exhaust is to run your fingers over the
bumper above the tail pipe.  If there's an oily film on the bumper - you can
guess where it's coming from.  Low compression will tell you if it's rings
or bad valves.  If the compression or leak down are good and you're still
burning oil, its likely to be valve seals.  A quick check for ring problems
is to look for blow by - oil in the air filter coming from the crankcase
vent tube.  Oil will pool along the bottom edge of the out side of the air
filter - on a stock one anyway.
By the exhaust seeming strong, I'm assuming you mean it's smell.  Likely
your mixture is rich.  Check for that - black soot on the plugs after a
drive - they may get a bit sooty after idling for an extended time even if
the carbs are adjusted correctly.  Better to be to rich than too lean
although rich won't due worn rings any good as it washes the cylinder walls
of their oil and shortens ring life.
=
Brian '69 2000
Tampa, FL