snipe hunting

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: snipe hunting
From: <maurell@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 8:40:59 -0400
My understanding of the ebay process is that if you're high bid at $50 and
someone outbids you and wins at $51? it doesn't mean they bid $51 dollars; they
may have bid $100, what they're willing to pay for the item...there commitment
is only the required bid increment more that the high bid. If you review the
bid history it will show only the highest bid, not the amount they were willing
to pay. I know. I've sniped and I've been sniped. By bidding high early you run
the risk of running up the price.

Sometimes I'll bid if the price is low just to keep an eye on the item, and to
keep from filling up my watch list. I bought a '53 Packard Mayfair a few weeks
ago by accident. Reserve was $1,995 and i planned on bidding $500 just to keep
and eye on the item. OOPS! I bid $5000 and by then it was too late to retract
the bid. I would have taken it except it was in upper New York and I am in
Tennessee. I reimbursed the lister for his listing fee and he will re-list.

I have had $110 top bids with a $100 high bid and watched people bid 5 or 6
time in the last minute trying to "snipe" the item with $1.00 increments and
never reach my $110 high bid. They too, then send me emails saying "I hope
you're happy with your..."

Grow up. If you're gonna come? Come BIG, or stay in the porch!

Jeff