Re: SUs & smog

To: "Datsun Forum" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SUs & smog
From: Gary Boone <gboone@sisna.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:39:57 -0600
Also, the '68-70 distributors originally came equipped with a smog 17.5 degree
advance rotor cam (producing 35 degrees of centrifugal advance at the
crankshaft).  This makes the engine perform poorly (along with potential
overheating problems) at lower engine speeds because the timing has to be set
back to 0 degrees BTDC at idle.  You want the 7.5 advance rotor cam, which came

on the pre-'68 roadsters.  The 7.5 cam produces 15 degrees of advance and
allows your idle timing to be set at 16 degrees BTDC (20 for Solexes).  You can

easily determine whether your distributor has been de-smogged to the 7.5 cam by

either watching with a timing light to see how much the timing advances
(assuming your advance mechanism is working properly) as you rev the engine
from idle to 4000 rpm, or remove the breaker plate and see what number is
stamped on the rotor plate underneath.  To remove the breaker plate, remove the

vacuum controller and the 2 screws securing the breaker plate to the
distributor housing.  There's no need to remove the points from the breaker
plate, so you won't have to worry with resetting the points gap or dwell
afterward.  If the rotor cam says 7.5, that's good.  If it's 17.5, that's bad.
While you have the breaker plate out, check the condition of the centrifugal
advance mechanism for frozen or damaged weights and springs.

Gary Boone
'70 2000
 http://www.picturetrail.com/gboone
WyCROC  http://www.wycroc.org/