Re: Wheel Polishing

To: datsun661600@hotmail.com,
Subject: Re: Wheel Polishing
From: Eschcool2@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 02:36:30 -0400
Ian,
   I have those same rims. I've been slowly working on mine one at a time.  You
first must decide how shiny you want them. If your looking for just shiny, then
the polishing compounds and high speed buffers will do the trick. If you want
mirror, your in for a lot more work. If you look closely at your rims, you will
notice the milling marks. Thin lines going in circles around the rims from the
machine that removed the aluminum. In order to get that mirror look, you will
have to sand the aluminum down to an ultra flat surface. I start with 100 grit
and worked up to 600 grit wet sand paper. Thats 100, 220, 320, 400, 600.  Once
you have removes all the mill marks, scratches, and super small pitting, you
can start with the compounds. I bought some +250 reading glasses to see super
close up. The glasses are vary important if your going the mirror route. If you
miss any of the marks from the previous sand paper, or skip from 100 grit right
to 600 grit, you won't get the mirror effect. Unfortunately the sanding must be
done by hand. I tried a couple different power sanding tools but its too easy
to make a mistake with aluminum. Plus the 320, 400 and 600 must be wet sanded.
Also using just your hands to sand will cause slight waves in the aluminum. I
did find an auto body sanding block to work well. This process is long and
painstaking. If you don't have the patients I don't recommend it. Expect some
sore hands, but a much firmer hand shake by the time your done.

Jeff
69 2000