Re: Solex Question

To: Vicki Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Solex Question
From: Marc Sayer <marc@gracieland.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 17:18:29 -0700
Vicki Burrows wrote:
> Well, I guess I'm gonna answer this question for myself... just purchased a
>set of
> SK 48 mm carbs (copies of 48 mm Webers) on Ebay.  If I like them, my newer
>style
> Mikuni's will be offered, along with a variety of jets and 37mm and 34mm
> venturies.  It will probably be awhile though... the engine is not together
>yet!
> Thomas, I would LOVE to have those jet sizes... would forever be in your
>debt.  One
> of my concerns was that I would be starting my jetting from scratch.  If you
>happen
> to know the venturi sizes too, and if his engine has any major mods done
>(like head
> work, increased compression and a cam) that would be helpful.  Thanks!!!!
> Greg Burrows
> 67 2000 with Mikuni's (and maybe SK's)

SKs use Weber jets but they are really closer to Mikunis than Webers in
design. The SKs will fit the same manifold as the Weber/Mikuni/Dellorto
carbs. They use Mikuni floats and an external float leveling system
almost identical to the later generic Mikunis. My understanding was that
they went out of business because they were sued by Mikuni for copying
some of their designs. I used to sell and tune SKs and they were the
best carbs I ever work with. Now a 48 means it was not a street carb,
but most likely a carb for the Formula Atlantic series that went to SK
as a spec carb. I say likely because I don't remember if they went to a
47 or a 48 spec. Anyway you'll know if it was a racing carb by its lack
of cold start device.

It seems a very similar carb is being sold again in Japan, only this
time it uses Mikuni jets. I wonder if now that Mikuni is out of the
aftermarket carb business, those same folks that started SK have gone
back into production?

Greg if you didn't get the float leveling gauge with your carbs I have
one I can lend you.

--
Marc Sayer
Journalist, Photographer, Dog Trainer (APDT member #062956)

Passions -
Great Danes, auto racing and fast cars, my wife

Dogs -
Gracie, Tank, Delilah, PJ, & the rescue dogs

Cars -
82 280ZX Turbo, 71 510 Trans Am vintage racer, 93 Ford E150 Tow/dog van

My Homepage - http://gracieland.org

Deaf Dane Rescue Homepge - http://gracieland.org/DaneRescue/

Any Dane at the races is a Great Dane!