Re: Question about front disc brakes

To: Kensington_FC@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question about front disc brakes
From: "Stephen McCartney" <sgam@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 01:50:56 +0000
Well, sort of.  The slots enable the brakes to "vent out" dust and (more
importantly) gases that build up between the pad and the disc during
repeated hard use.  Those gases can actually form a kind of boundary layer
between the pad and disc, reducing the friction available.  Getting them out
aids braking, and helps heat dissipation by keeping the disc free of build
up.

Cross-drilled discs (like Porsches have) work for similar reasons, but have
three disadvantages - firstly, the holes can clog up, making them useless,
secondly, they are often lighter than a normal disc, giving less heat
storage capacity, and finally, if they're cheaply made, they're notoriously
weak - cracked cross-drilled discs are not uncommon.  (I believe that
Porsche discs are not actually drilled, but that the discs are cast with the
holes in them, making them stronger).
Besides, even in competition applications, for a car as light as a roadster,
I doubt you'd notice the difference between a slotted disc and a
cross-drilled/slotted (you usually don't get drilled without slots) one,
anyway.  Best to stick with the stronger alternative.

Cheers,

Steve