Re: electrical problem - thx

To: Datsun_Sports <Datsun_Sports@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: electrical problem - thx
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 08:18:17 -0500 (CDT)
Mike,

I lost track, what year is the car? By your wiring list I assume that it
is 67.5 or earlier.

When you have the car running with the jumper in place the ignition switch
is bypassed, so the key will have no effect on the car running.

Instead of putting the jumper from the + of the coil to the battery, connect
it to the fuse panel side of the resistor and see if that allows the car to
start and run. If it stays running the problem is not with the ignition
system or the resistor, but between the starter and the resistor.

When you don't have the jumper in place can you turn the engine over with
the starter using the ignition switch? If so, power is getting to the
ignition switch.

Put the jumper back on and start the engine. Leave it running for a minute
or so to be sure that it will not stall. Turn the key on, but not to
start. Remove the jumper and see if the engine dies. If it does the
problem is either the ignition switch, or a wire or connection between the
ignition switch and the resistor. Does the fuel gauge still show a steady
reading or is it dropping to zero? If it is dropping the problem is
probably in the fuse box, the ignition switch, or the wire or connections
between them.

That's about as far as I can go without knowing what year the car is.

As for checking the ignition switch out with it out of the car, yes, it
can be done, but it is probably easier to test it in the car with it
hooked up. Using an ohm meter you can get readings that will tell you if
the switch is "really" bad or not, but you need to run higher currents
through it to test it completely.

A volt meter or a tail light lamp with wires soldered to it will be
needed.

I can go over the testing for you, but, again, it depends on what year.

Peace,
Pat

 - Support Habitat for Humanity, A "hand up", not a "hand
out" -

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner