OT historical Mazda R-100 story (was rotary engine swaps)

To: "mike datsunman" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>,
Subject: OT historical Mazda R-100 story (was rotary engine swaps)
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 10:17:55 -0400
The extra heat in the exhaust goes right along with some basic laws
of nature dealing with thermodynamics, that energy could have
been changed to mechanical work and better gas milage would
result.  But I degress (now that I am degreased and on the computer)...

Many many years ago my brother bought a Mazda R-100, the first
rotary in america I think, and I borrowed it for autocross.  These were
my first autocrosses with the Ohio State Sports Car Club.  Won
my class, and the car was amazingly fast for its day, and rattle
free.  Soft and tippy handling though.  That one autocross
(and I was careful not to exceed redline, but touched it many
times) destroyed the tip seals, so next morning the car would
not start.  Several cans of starting either, and pushing it up to
30 mph and she finally started, with giant clouds of smoke.
But, Once warmed up, the car ran OK.  We immediatly drove
to a used car lot and traded it in on a 6cyl 3 on the tree
Ford Torino (a no option dog the used car salesman
could not believe he had the luck of unloading)...and got
a great price for the Mazda.

Dont know what became of it, but my brother saw it sitting
there for quite a long time.  The early rotarys were very
bad for tip seals.

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake Va