a tale of two 1600 heads

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: a tale of two 1600 heads
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 15:26:07 -0400
For all:
Some years ago I aquired two 1600 heads that were
in fact laying in a scrap heap waiting to be sold for
the value of the aluminum.  I finally got around to
taking them to the local best head guy.  One head
had a deck of 3.170, which is visibly thin, so the
head doctor did nothing with it.  The other one was
a lot thicker, so as we had previously agreed, he
pressure checked it (sat, $35) and removed a number
of broken studs and bolts and checked all threads
so its ready for a valve job or porting or whatever
($35).   He also cleaned up the face, .003 taken off
so the deck on this one now measures 3.242 ($35).

So, the bad part is I forgot what someone told me the
deck height of a new 1600 head is supposed to be,
so I need to know if I just blew one hundred bucks on
a head that is still too milled for practical use, or if
I have a good spare head now!

He said the thin head could possibly be used for someone
wanting really high compression, but he
could not understand for other than some sort of race
purpose (on race gas) why so much would be taken off.
He also said if the heads get really rare it might be possible
to have shims made, or open up the combustion chambers
to lower compresssion, so I should keep the thin one around
anyway.  (I was going to go get my 3 bucks or so of aluminum
scrap value out of it)

Thanks in advance for any advice!  I'm going out back now
to get more work done putting the engine and tranny back
in SAKE RKT.

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake, VaGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com