RE: Rustproofing chassis/weight/point to make

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Rustproofing chassis/weight/point to make
From: Sel_Aganovic@hettich.com.au
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 10:02:43 +1000
Hi Listers,

I stripped the chassis last night completely, and I could just lift it when
it is on it's side, resting it on my shoulder.....My guess is about 100 kg
or less, definitely no more.....

I need to clarify one point here. My main concern is protecting the chassis
from the inside, as this is where the original rust came from. It is on the
back bend, where the "skinnier" section, meets the"thicker" section, just
before the lead spring pick-ups.

I can't see the point of protecting the outside, when there is 35 years
worth of mud and other crap trapped inside, that needs to be cleaned out
and treated.

Thomas, you said that the galvanising won't treat the inside ? Why not,
there are drainage holes in the bottom members, front cross-member is
hollow,and I drilled some 10 mm holes in the "X" to let the molten metal go
in, and air to escape......

As for the 450 C, the chassis looks like it was MIG/TIG welded originally,
so this temp will not affect the welds.

I am pretty sure that they did not temper car chassis  in the 60's, but
could be wrong on this one.

So this is my plan...

Alkaline strip (no acid)
Derust bath
Hot dip galvanising

Re the retaping of the threads, this will probably need to be done, but it
is not a major task...

Any feedback/info is welcome....

Cheers

Sel