Stupid overheating problem fixed.

To: "datsun list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stupid overheating problem fixed.
From: "aaron atkins" <amatkins@qnet.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 13:24:31 -0700
     I think I finally found the root of my woes.  I got the rad recored ( 3
row, dimpled core. $180.00).  Car still ran hot.  Then I put a candy
thermometer into the filler neck.  Here is what I found; water temp of 176
deg after 30 minutes of high idle, gauge temp of 210 deg at same time.  My
guess is that the sending unit is too close to the header.  I will wrap the
sending unit in header wrap to see if it helps.  My other option is drill
and tap the filler neck to accept the temp sender.  Any suggestions?  Until
then, my apologies to all of the un-noticed suggestions of "Are you sure the
new gauge is reading correctly?"
    I also fixed another problem while waiting for the rad.  The car had a
leak on the trans tail shaft.  A quick trip to my local industrial supply
house ( I mail ordering, it's soooo slow), and I found a replacement seal
for $3.50.  A half hour later no more leaky tranny.
   On a better note.  My college finals are over, and I will have plenty of
time to start the bodywork (when I'm not out cruising)   :)

Aaron
'67 1600 (finally running cooler)