was: Chassis rustproofing/frame weight

To: <Sel_Aganovic@hettich.com.au>,
Subject: was: Chassis rustproofing/frame weight
From: "Peter Long" <Peter.Long@ecologic.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:47:23 -0400
Sel,

I would get the opinion of a metallurgist regarding the 4500 C heating
of the frame required to do the galvanizing - 4500 C equates to 8420 F,
which is approaching the annealing temperature of some alloys.  Simply
put, that temperature might be enough to alter the temper of the steel
used in the frame, either making it stiffer and more brittle - and more
prone to cracking - or softer and more flexible - making the chassis
less resistant of the torsional forces imposed by the suspension.
Either way is undesirable, depending on extent.

There may not be a problem with that temperature, but you definitely
want to be sure!

Pete Long