Re: Timing gears

To: Stan Chernoff <az589@lafn.org>
Subject: Re: Timing gears
From: Gary McCormick <gkmcc@netgate.net>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 23:32:01 -0700
Stan -

I haven't contacted anyone about fabbing the timing sprockets - it appears that
we have a
couple of other dedicated list members who are pursuing that, tho' - I was
speaking from
20+ years experience metal fabrication experience as a mechanical engineer. The
stock
units appear to be cast steel, designed for volume manufacture. While any
current run
would, of necessity, be much lower volume, this would afford the opportunity to
use a
higher strength material. There have been improvements in materials knowledge
in the last
30+ years, even in ferrous materials, so I have no doubt that a modern
facsimile of a U20
timing sprocket set could be improved over the stock units.

We have a pretty good gear shop over on the other side of the facility where I
work, but
we usually fab gearsets that are a skosh bigger - like submarine and aircraft
carrier
size, so I can't help out my U20-owning compatriots that way ;^)

Cheers,

Gary