the merits of L series engines,

To: nqrithjim@hotmail.com, datsunmike@nyc.rr.com, SLBESQ@aol.com,
Subject: the merits of L series engines,
From: "Jimmy Claypool" <srl311vg@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 22:18:52 -0700
   Well after a late start on Saturday I finally got the car to my shop at
10:30am. At 12:30 I was on the way home to see the Kings take a 3-1 lead
over the Mavericks(just had to put that in there)
The engine and trans were installed but the trans mount not built yet.
   I came back on Sunday and did that. The boss had the digital camera so
sorry no pics yet. I did realize that the thing the realeaes bearing
presses on to is too thick to work with the roadster clutch, so I gotta find
one out of a 510 and install that. So that means the engine and trans gotta
come out again.
   But otherwise a very straightforward install using Stan's kit. Money well
spent. And everything fits under the hood but a driveshaft will have to be
made or a 1600 or 510 shortened to fit. and if anyone is planning on doing
I'll try to make my trans mount as easy as possible.

I think that if you use a 5 speed out of a datsun truck that came with an L
setries with the shorter tail section, or the well known "dogleg" trans the
the fitment would be easier. The 280zx trans that I am using is about 6
inches longer. It has a .745 overdrive and with the 3.70 rear gearing it
should make a nice long distance cruiser. But the 1st 2nd and 3rd are good
for autocross.  If anyone is ever in the Rancho Cordova area feel free to
stop by the shop 800-787-8012

I'll keep everyone posted

Jimmy in Sacramento