Re: unobtainium parts - was muffler OT

To: Mark Sedlack <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Subject: Re: unobtainium parts - was muffler OT
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 07:57:39 -0500 (CDT)
Years ago I worked part time in a front end shop. We had a new helper who
wanted to learn how to do some of the work, so he tagged around with the
service manager/head mechanic. Jesse had just pressed bushings into a
steering nuckle and was ready to home them out to fit the king pins. He
had a rough idea how much to take out, so he started reaming it out with
the helper paying full attention. After a minute or so of reaming Jesse
pulled the reamer out and picked up a smaller kingpin from a different car
and it fell right through the bushings. He pointed out to the helper that
he had reamed it out too far and now must ream it back down. Jesse
continued to ream the bushings for another minute or so, then tried the
correct kingpin - oops, too tight, time to ream it back out some more.
This continued until the kingpin fit. The kid took everything in without
ever suspecting that Jesse was pulling his leg!

We also had a distilled water faucet for filling batteries!

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner