Re: Amp gauge

To: "Brad Holmes" <bholmes@monk.aum.edu>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Amp gauge
From: "Fred Schroeder" <roadster@texoma.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 19:45:56 -0600
The ammeter is basically a shunt (i.e.: heavy chunk of copper) with a
millivolt meter across it.  It should read just barely above zero ohms
across the posts.  Unless you have a VERY accurate (read that expensive!)
meter, it will likely show zero.  What usually happens is the shunt burns in
two and acts like a blown fuse.  The only way I can think of to check its
function (in the absence of special equipment) it to actually put a load on
it.  Hook it in series with an old head light, blower motor, or some other
device that will draw a fair amount of current. Apply this to a battery and
see if 1) the device works and 2) if the meter shows current draw.  Polarity
on the meter doesn't matter as it is made to read either way.

Best regards,

Fred Schroeder
'70 2000
SRL311-13359