Re: TWM throttle bodies with Electromotive Tec-II ignition /

To: ckrobertson@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TWM throttle bodies with Electromotive Tec-II ignition /
From: Dave_Driemeier@May-Co.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:20:06 -0600
>Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 18:50:20 -0600
>From: "Chris Robertson" <ckrobertson@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: TWM throttle bodies with Electromotive Tec-II ignition /
injection control>

>The TEC-II might be overkill, unless you are planning to use a
turbocharger
>or supercharger.  There are less expensive engine management systems that
>provide timing adjustment and the necessary fuel injector divers (SDS,
>Haltech, Electromotive HPV3, etc).

>I love Datsun Roadsters dearly, so don't get me wrong when I say your
money
>might be better spent elsewhere.  Making such modifications could add a
fair
>amount of power, maybe 25+ horsepower.  You'll need to make sure that your

>U20 is up to it.  Have you priced timing gears and chains?  In what
>condition are the valvetrain, rings and bearings?  This isn't a cheap
>proposal.

>Here's the big question:  What is your goal?  If you want high power, do
an
>engine swap.  If you want to keep the car original, then do nothing.  What

>you're proposing is to maximize 35 year old engine technology, which is a
>really cool idea but expensive and not yielding a lot for the money
>invested.  It IS a cool idea though, and fellow roadster owners will crowd

>around you engine bay at car meets. :)
>For $3600 you could transplant a JDM Nissan SR20DET, which will easily
>provide 250hp and it's lighter than the U20.  Or use a 300ZX turbo, or a
>rotary, or even American iron.  There are tons of options.

>There are lots of projects, ideas, and opinions on this list.  Pick up as
>much info as you can and decide what's best for you and your  roadster.

>Have fun,
>Chris

Chris,

The motor was professionally gone through a few years ago and only has
4,000 miles since a complete rebuild.  The car is a frame off restoration
with all the wear parts replaced.  What it didn't have is the high dollar
cosmetic work.   Unfortunately, the numbers don't match, as the original
block had a rod through the side.  It has all the recommended "tweaks",
panasport wheels and Koni shocks, etc.

I thought that changing the induction and cam along with an electronic
ignition would all be bolt on mods, and I can save the original parts.
Solex kit would be the authentic upgrade, but the fuel injection with
computer management and distributorless ignition is basically the same
price.  The other engine management systems are also a viable option.  I
just used Electromotive as a for instance.   I have no personal experience
with any of the aftermarket management systems and I wanted some input  on
them.

The SR20DET looks awesome, but I would be into some fabrication.  How
difficult a swap is this?   Anybody done one?

Thanks,

Dave Driemeier