Re: New Exhaust question, need help

To: Deena Petrie <dpetrie@megsinet.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Exhaust question, need help
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 17:58:05 -0800 (PST)
You need to replace the 1600 starter with a shorter 2000 starter, under
$100 rebuilt.  I'm sure a heat shield would also be good.

The header fits flush with the head; any gaps will create exhaust
leaks.  You also need to be sure it is held tight, since the flange is
probably thinner than the intake manifold.  Mine had rectangular blocks
welded on the flange so it would hold tight with the donut washers and
nuts.  BTW, if you don't have those thick donut washers, you can get
them by the gross at your local pick & pull from 260z's and 280z's.

I had two minor problems, really more irritations, with my header -
one, the shiny paint peels right off once you run the car, and two, I
had to dent the #2 pipe to keep it from hitting the intake manifold.  I
painted my header with exhaust paint.  If possible, get a jet-hot
coated header, which looks nifty and supposedly lasts longer/reduces
heat/jumps higher/tastes great/etc.

--- Deena Petrie <dpetrie@megsinet.net> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> We are installing a new header and are wondering if it is supposed to
> fit
> tight up against the block?  Next is there a type of shield to
> protect the
> starter from getting to hot? It seems that the starter would burn up
> being
> that close to the header.  Any Ideas?
>
> Thanks again
> Deena & Joe