Re: Starter removal

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter removal
From: "Todd Osborn" <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 14:15:23 -0800
Russ,
The triangle piece adds some structural stiffing to the body (it's not
directly connected to the frame) and helps prevent water and mud from
spashing on the engine. Many people remove it and I have heard of no
problems, however the 2L starter can be removed without removing the
triangle. The 1.6L starter is much longer and I suspect you must remove the
triangle. I recommend you replace the starting  with a 2L one (smaller,
easier to remove and farther from the header), and put the triangle back in
with sheet metal screws or pop rivets (this will at least provide some
weather protection).
Todd Osborn
68 2L
San Jose, Ca