Re: alternator conversion help

To: gppepoy@cybertrails.com
Subject: Re: alternator conversion help
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 16:49:54 -0800 (PST)
Sorry, I replied off-list and should have kept it here.

Grant Ultratech 1110 13" wheel.  I'd get a 14" if I had to do it again.
 Bought on eBay but available from anyone who sells Grant wheels.  I
cut off about 1/2" of the plastic steering column surround so the
adapter didn't rub.  Grant adapter #4581 @ Kragen's.

--- Pamela Pepoy <gppepoy@cybertrails.com> wrote:
> Adam,
> Great set of photos...thanks.  What kind of steering wheel do you
> have on
> your roadster?  It looks like it belongs there (not stock).  If I am
> not
> being to pushy,  where did you purchased it?  I am planning to
> replace the
> stock wheel on my 67.5.  Thanks again.
> Guy
> 67.5 Stroker
> Tempe, AZ
>
> Adam Bradley wrote:
>
> > The single wire alternator also has a voltage regulator, but it's
> > internal, not external.  They do the same thing.
> >
> > You should not hook at 60+ amp alternator to your stock wiring.  If
> the
> > load never exceeds 30 amps, you'll be safe.  But when it does,
> you'll
> > blow your fuse, or worse if for some reason the fuse doesn't blow.
> >
> > I had an electric radiator fan, directly wired to the battery, and
> > stereo.  I turned on the electric fan, stereo, lights, wipers and
> > heater and drew more than 30 amps.  With your wiring, I'd blow the
> > fuse.
> >
> > --- Eric Frisbee <efris@qwest.net> wrote:
> > > Great info on the alternators, but... Doesn't the voltage
> regulator
> > > prevent
> > > the full 60 amps from hitting your wiring harness?   As I
> understand
> > > the
> > > regulator, it sends only what is required by the electrical load.
> > > As to
> > > the amp guage not working, I have to disagree.   Mine works
> > > perfectly,
> > > although only up to 30 amps which it would rarely hit, unless I
> have
> > > a dead
> > > battery.   I have a pair of 30 amp fuses protecting my relatively
> > > fragile
> > > amp guage as well.      As to the wiring.   I am using a stock
> > > harness on
> > > the '67 and just hook up the white wire to my AC Delco, with a
> line
> > > run to
> > > #2 post on the alternator.   No problems with that set up and
> it's
> > > got about
> > > 6 months of a 160 mile daily drive on it.
> > >
> > > Good luck!
> > > Eric

=== message truncated ===

=====