Re: [Re: National old car scrapping program?]

To: Michael Shimniok <michael.shimniok@usa.net>,
Subject: Re: [Re: National old car scrapping program?]
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 21:41:03 -0800 (PST)
We need a law outlawing useless laws!  :^)

If they didn't create new laws, what would we need them for?  It's job
preservation.

The slippery slope is in place and we are already sliding.  Of course,
Roadsters and other early Japanese imports get better mileage than a
new Dodge Dakota and most minivans, but they serve very different
purposes.  If they said "increased emissions" at least I'd agree.

--- Michael Shimniok <michael.shimniok@usa.net> wrote:
> Yes, it is voluntary.  Sorry if I led anyone to believe otherwise.
> As I
> stated, it sets up a program to offer monetary inscentives for
> turning in
> old inefficient cars.
>
> Some thoughts I submit for consideration.  Is the slippery slope
> argument
> valid here?  That is, once a precedent has been set to scrap older
> less
> fuel efficient cars (legitimizing this misguided approach as a way to
>
> 'save the planet'), will this pave the way for manditory scrapping in
> the
> future?  If it has little effect, why should we allow it to be
> passed?
> How many more laws do we need, especially useless ones, if they pose
> any
> risk to our hobbies in the future?
>
> Thanks and Happy New Year, all!
> Michael
>
> Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I quickly read through Title VIII, Sec. 803, and it looks
> volountary,
> > IF this bill should become law.  There would be no forced
> retirement
> > under Title VIII, just an option to get paid to scrap the vehicle
> > rather than sell it to the public.
> >
> > If I had a rustbucket, barely running, almost totally worthless, I
> > might seriously consider this program over trying to sell or unload
> it
> > myself.  Again, that is IF it becomes law.
> >
> > California has had a similar program, and other than laughable
> mailings
> > to some list members to retire their old, tired cars (beautifully
> > restored classics) it hasn't had much of an effect that I'm a
>
> ---
> Michael Shimniok  - KC0EKI -  "A computer without Microsoft
> Michael.Shimniok@USA.NET       is like a dog without bricks
> http://pw2.netcom.com/~shimniok/       tied to its head..."

=====
Adam