Re: Dream Car/Bad Boy

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dream Car/Bad Boy
From: "Richard Wright" <duntov1@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:18:26 -0600
I love 60's SUPERCARS, simplicity and BALLS.
I love the look of the definitive body style of the big Austin Healey, and
how easy they are to work on!
Like a Harley, you can fix almost anything with a screwdriver and a crescent
wrench in a pinch, and you can get to everything. Convert 'em to solid
wheels and big tires and they go around a corner. Put a V8 in one and it is
lighter and more nimble.
I especially like the sidecurtain cars with no roll up windows.
The door was made to rest your arm on, and no rattles.
It is a 4 wheel motorcycle and should be treated and stored as such.
With the V8 in my Healey, which I owned twice in 30 years (bought it back
destroyed), it will run 0 to 60 in about 4 seconds, and the 1/4 mile in the
low 12's on street gas and tires. I never trailer it. I drive it to the road
race courses, and the autocrosses, and beat 7/8 of the cars with always, the
oldest car there: 41 year old Healey with a 32 year old motor.
I recently ran with the Porsche club, and was beat by two Z06's and 2 Vipers
and 1 Porsche 914 race car.
I was only about 1/2 second behind the slowest of these cars, and was a
little disappointed. Then I saw all 5 cars being loaded onto trailers as I
started to leave the pits under my own power.
It's rewarding to be the only guy there that changes his own sparkplugs and
oil ( and motors, and brakes, and trans etc).
I do all my own mods.
My kids know da Healey is my 1st born, and is a Frankenstein monster!!!!!
They are fighting over who gets it someday. I told them to cremate me and
take me for rides, and beat a Ford or 2!
My wimpy wife won't even sit in it (must be the flowmaster exhaust that
rattles the whole house)!
Only pro-street cars have a chance of beating me on the streets.
At car shows, I start the motor and draw crowds for votes! They also dig the
aluminum interior and inner fenders!
I get about 20+ miles to the gallon with a 5 speed and 3.20 gears. It stays
cool inside with the radiator in the trunk!!!!!

And women yell at me at stop lights! "Nice Car"!-
-but for some reason-the little red Datsun gets more attention!
Go figure!!!@!

You may already own your dream car!

Merry Christmas guys!!!

Richard Wright