Re: Design Study (getting WAY off target - but interesting

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Design Study (getting WAY off target - but interesting
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 20:37:10 -0500
Mike,

While you are correct that the hard core Jaguar E type owners would not buy
one, there was a big market for the Z cars - more than just TR6 and GT6
buyers.  Triumph continued to sell plenty of their roadsters - someone that
wanted a ragtop would not have bought a Z.  The GT6 did not exactly set the
world on fire with it's sales figures, so it was not the major donor of
buyers.  The Z may have been a rice burner, but at the height of the sales
frenzy, there was a crazy waiting list, and people were paying double the
sticker price.  ( I heard of one that sold for $5000 over sticker) because
folks wanted the latest toy.  The Z was the adult version of the Tickle Me
Elmo back in 1970.

Datsun/Nissan was not looking to eclipse the E type, but rather their goal
was to get the buyer that wanted E type performance, and updated E type
styling at an affordable price.  At the time that the Z was introduced, the
E had already established itself as a snob car, and was climing in price
like a chimpanzee going for coconuts.  Datsun/Nissan did what the Japanese
have become famous for - they saw an unfilled market niche and they were
"the firstest with the mostest" to fill that niche.  America countered with
the Vega and the Pinto.

Sid