RE: Mid-close gears and shifter throw

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Mid-close gears and shifter throw
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:07:45 -0800
Andrew, you may be confusing the short-throw shifters on the sequential race
boxes with the idea of closer gear ratios, which is what the mid-close and
ultra-close boxes are about. In the ultra-close roadster box, 1st gear is the
same ratio as the standard 2nd gear. Road race cars don't do standing starts,
and the high-output engines have a narrower power band. Therefore they use
different gear ratios so you can keep the revs in the power band easier.
Requires more shifting and is a real PITA on the street.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA