RE: Design Study (Getting OT here)

To: " roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Design Study (Getting OT here)
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:03:23 -0800
Interesting how different perspectives result in different analyses. I would
have said that the cars of the 1990's all look the same, while cars of the
1950's and 1960's were distinct.

The Z didn't start a trend with it's body design, it just made the classic
Ferrari/Jaguar Grand Touring shape available for a price normal humans could
afford. Actually, it did the same on engineering overall, too, with an inline 6
and independent suspension. There was a major shift in the configuration of an
"affordable sports car" starting in 1970. I talk about that a bit in the article
on my site about why the roadster is a significant car.

When body styles started being determined more by wind tunnel tests than by
stylists, they lost a lot of their individuality.

Okay, speaking of distinctive cars, I'm gonna open a Pandora's Box here. What
one car would you most like to find in your driveway on Christmas (excluding
Datsun Roadsters)?

My choice would be a 1967 Ferrari 330/P4
        1750 lbs
        4 liter mid-engine V12
        450hp @ 8000rpm
        only 4 were built, 3 are still in existence
http://www.supercars.net/Pic?s=1&i=527&p=1967_ferrari_330_p4-1.jpg&y=1967&m=Ferr
ari&o=330%20P4

George, is that more the shape you had in mind?

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA