Re: new owner

To: Richard Wright <duntov1@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: new owner
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 09:58:40 -0600
Good Morning & Welcome to the list.

Richard Wright wrote:

> I just purchased a 69 2000 in Dallas. Red with black interior.
> It has been sitting a while.

Was it on eBay?

> What is the cost effective way to deal with a bad master cylinder?

Replace it with a new one. Sometimes the master cylinder can
be rebuilt, but that really depends on the internal condition
of the aluminum bore. There are outfits like White Post that
can install a sleeve into the brake master cylinder, which then
allows it to be rebuilt.

Alas if the master cylinder is bad, you should also replace the
rear wheel cylinders. Aluminum cylinders don't fair well with
moisture and non-use. If you replace just the master, you might
find a set of leaking rear wheel cylinders in a few months. ;-(

> Is castrol brake fluid correct to use?

Big fan of Castrol GT/LMA.

> Anyone have the side chrome for the driver's door and front fender?

Good news and bad news: You can find the trim, but a full set will
cost around $600 or so. Driver and passenger side are not the same,
but close. I still have some of those trim parts around here, but would
have to look. No, not cheap.

> What is the best transmission oil?

For the tranny and rear end: Castrol 85W/90 Gear oil.

[90/140 is OK for the rear end, but too darn hard to shift
in the tranny].

I'd recommend making sure you can remove the fill plugs first,
then drain the tranny & rear end. Should be done every few years,
especially on vehicles that have been sitting for years.

While you are at it, also a good idea to top of the steering
box. ('68 and earlier steering boxes actually have a small
plug on the side you can drain the steering box by removing it.
Starting in the middle of '69 they used a later box without that
drain plug. If you have the early one, always a good idea to drain
and refill it as they like filling with water over the years)

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Round Rock, TX
(north of Austin)