Re: new owner (brake info- long)

To: duntov1@attbi.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: new owner (brake info- long)
From: "Chris Robertson" <ckrobertson@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 11:17:25 -0600
Hi Richard,

Best bet is to replace the brake MC with a new or rebuilt unit.  They are
easy to rebuild if you are so inclined.  A seal kit is cheap and you can use
a hand drill and hone to refresh the aluminum cylinder bore as long as it
isn't severely pitted.

Give the system a good flush and see what the stuff in there looks like.
Since it has been sitting, you really should check the action of the front
calipers and rear cylinders.

As you probably know, brake fluid will absorb water.  Since the roadster's
front brake cylinders are steel, they tend to get rusty, pitted or stuck
when stored.  This is more the rule than the exception in my experience
owning 5 roadsters over the years.  Again, replacement is the easy way to
go, but they can be rebuilt with an inexpensive seal kit as long as they
aren't pitted.  I once shipped a set of severely pitted front cylinders off
for stainless steel inserts.  The cost was about the same as factory new
calipers, but I won't have to worry about pitting again.

Rear wheel brake cylinders are cheap enough to buy new vs. bother rebuilding
(or at least they were last time I checked).

While you are at it, replace the pads and shoes as needed, and REPACK THE
FRONT AND REAR WHEEL BEARINGS!!!  It may have 30+ yr old grease in there.
The rear ones are not at all easy to pack but definitely worth doing, as
replacing a rear wheel bearing is a 100 times as much work (ask anyone
that's done it).

Castrol is fine for brake fluid.  Just use DOT3 or better.  If you rebuild
the whole system, you might consider using silicone brake fluid.  Many
roadster owners have done that and are happy with it.  It doesn't absorb
water.

OK, so you've potentially bought yourself a lot of work without realizing
it.  Don't despair, do it right now and you will avoid many nightmares
(again, BTDT).  The good news is that when completely redone, the roadster
brakes work great (for 60's a non-boosted system).  After all, the front
Dunlop brakes were used on Jaguars in the day...

Use any standard gear oil for the tranny.  Be sure to do the rear
differential while you are at it (same oil).

The SS trim is available from many vendors.  Some folks on the list may have
some laying around (I know I do, somewhere in storage).

Your other cars sound really great.  Enjoy the datsun!

Chris Robertson
Bryan, TX