happy, happy day

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: happy, happy day
From: "Terry and Donna Cost" <tcost@vvm.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 16:09:31 -0600
Hello list,

Just put up the Christmas stuff.  Can't put out the Santa Sleigh pulled by
flamingos today because it's 50 degrees and driving rain, but will get that
done later.  Otherwise I'm having a good day.

To lower our roadsters Andy and I have used the old Sharp Competition manual
recommendations.  We cut one coil from the front springs and made them flat
on top, then added a 4"x4"x1" spacer between the rear axle and the spring
plate.  Everything fits, the ride is not as harsh as store-bought
competition springs, and the roadster looks and handles much better.  It's
about an inch lower.  We also put real washers (not shims) between the
a-arms and frame to give about 2-3 degrees negative camber in front.  I
bought longer bolts for that.  I bought longer u-bolts for the rear spring
mounts, also, and spent about $15 on all the lowering hardware, not counting
the front springs somebody gave me.  I think a muffler shop's chop saw could
make the tapered cut in the spring, but I used a 5" grinder and lots of
patience.  The end of the new flat taper should be just under the end of the
original flat taper.  Mark the taper before you cut.   Andy cut one coil too
many the first time, and we had to scrap a set of springs.  The tires hit
the tops of the fender wells big time.  If you'd like a set of super low,
super stiff springs, have I got a deal for you!  Grind an inch off your
brake calipers and run 13" rims.  On bumps you'll shower the admiring
neighbors with sparks from frame rails, differentials, crossmembers, etc.

Andy won the Equipe Rapide autocross trophy for CSP this year starting out
in my 2000 and later campaigning his own "Tetanus" 2000.  Counting the best
six finishes, he had two firsts and four seconds.  Pat and Mike Steinbach in
a beautiful yellow 2000 together had two firsts, a second, and two fourths
and I had a second and two thirds before I changed to a BMW and DSP.  Andy's
chief competition other than Mike's 2000 was a very fast RX7, a Miata, and a
BMW M3.   Since no one made all ten events, consistency counted a lot, and
Andy finished high more than anyone else.  He's going to switch all his
go-fast stuff to an EP roadster for next season.  We can still run my Grey
Ghost if one of us breaks.

Leisure Suit Terry