Sagging rear springs

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sagging rear springs
From: Marshall Colley <mcolley@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 22:49:35 -0700
It came to my notice a while back that my friends rear lower shock mounts on
his 1980 Chevy Luv has a bolt type mount (different then our reversed plate
design....the flat plate is usually on top with the bolt mount on the
bottom). Moreover, many cars use bolt mount on both ends.  I bought a set of
rear lower mounts off a LUV and they almost bolt right on with the bolt
being in just about the right location.....just a minor adjustment of
re-drilling and moving the hole over a small distance.

This would allow for the use of a wide range of shocks, perhaps even some
with adjustable rear helper coil springs, including auto adjusting
multi-valve gas types.  Some shocks have multi-valve and overload  coils.

I haven't done the conversion yet and have some concern that the shock coil
spring will not clear the stabilizer bar on the drivers side.  Nor do I know
how it will affect the handling, but the ride is already fairly stiff and I
don't think it will have adverse affects like those reported on the reversed
shackle.

Being that many coil/gas shocks are adjustable, this may be a solution to
raising the rear end and changing the ride when desired.

Any opinions?  Anyone done this?

Marshall