Alternator modifications

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alternator modifications
From: Marshall Colley <mcolley@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 20:46:39 -0700
Dear members,

My prior reference to" few modifications"  with the Chevy heavy duty 68 amp
alternator replacement had more to do with the mechanical installation.

As to electrical considerations,  devices inside the car will only pull as
much current as they need to operate.   Thus there's really no problem there
unless one tries to run more heavy current devices through the ignition key
main primary line, in which case, the normal 30 amp primary circuit won't
handle the load.

In my case,  I use relays to control higher current paths such as Air
Conditioning,  quartz lights, etc.......this requires the installation of
new fused lines going to such devices and, as pointed out by an astute
member, a larger wire to the battery from the alternator in the event device
or battery charge load exceeds the old wires capabilities. The relays allow
the ignition switch to turn off power to such devices by activating them
with the ignition circuit.

But if your loads aren't any higher then stock, then beefing up the
alternator battery charge wire is the only thing you need to change.  It's
easy and should be done anyway, since it never was fused and often shorted
out on the back of the engine or linkage where it is located.  This short is
the main reason many amp gauges are burned out, since the Roadster has no
main fuse or fuseable link,  the meter itself became the fuse and simply
melted inside.  So, while your at it,  install a fender wall mount main
fuse. I also installed a new,  under the dash,  80 amp amp guage and
matching voltmeter.

Finally,  one very important electrical item to check (that many of us are
probably all aware of) is the fused circuit for the headlights has a problem
carrying the load and often leads to an overheated fuse in the glove box,
sometimes causing the solder inside the fuse ends to melt and lose
power.....NO LIGHTS--YIKES......this actually happened to me more then once
and it's pretty frightening on a jet black night.  Cleaning the fuse posts
only delays the inevitable.  I replaced mine with a new modern in-line type
and now cruise over the mountain passes with no worries.

All things considered, a  Chevy, heavy duty, find anywhere,  lifetime
guaranteed,  inexpensive alternator is a nice way to go.  You can even
install the model that has a built in regulator.  You can get a lower amp
model if you don't need the current or are worried about the higher
amperage.

I hope this clarifies things;  I certainly wouldn't want someone's car to go
up in smoke by not supplying all the necessary info.

Thanks Adam for bringing it to my attention.

Marshall