Re: 2000 Starter v 1600

To: Mike Harper <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 2000 Starter v 1600
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:31:45 -0700
It was asked:
> Both the battery terminal and the wiring harness were
> attached to one terminal on the old starter, and I see
> that there are 2 terminals on the new one.

There's two (actually three) terminals on all the starters.
The solenoid is also a high-current relay that provides the
power to the starter motor itself. The battery connects to one
side and the motor connects to the other (two large studs).
The 'start' signal from the ignition switch connects to the small
spade lug.

One of the studs will have a heavy wire that goes into the starter
itself. Leave this post alone, NOTHING ELSE connects to it.
The battery and the main wiring harness feed all connect to the
other post.

-- John