Re: Charging problems revisited

To: "Adam Bradley" <ambradley@yahoo.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Charging problems revisited
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 12:43:39 -0400
Adam,

You didn't mention what type of alt you put in but it sounds like the
voltage regulator is shot. I had that problem a while ago. Overcharge then
undercharge. If it's a built in regulator then the alt must be changed. I
have heard of stories where an overcharging condition caused the electrical
system to melt down. Better undercharging than overcharging.

I also had another problem when I discovered that a wire connecting to the
alt was almost torn through and only a few strands were still connected to
the connector however this was after I changed to another type of alternator
and made my own connections and the harness was not long enough and being
pulled too tightly. I rectified that by using an old harness and lenghtening
the wires considerably. Check all the connectors.

Mike