RE: Timing

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Timing
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@home.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:04:47 -0700
There is a short shaft with itegral spiral gear that drives both the distributor
and the oil pump from the jackshaft. See
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/Images/6A.gif for the gear; it is number 3 in the
diagram. It sounds like this gear has been installed one tooth off from where it
should be. You have to remove the distributor mount to get at it.

If the timing chain was off by a tooth or two you'd probably get piston-to-valve
contact and it wouldn't run at all.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA