Re: Timing

To: "Bob" <bmorrow@horizon-health.org>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Timing
From: "Patrick P. Castronovo" <slick1@mohaveaz.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:53:50 -0700
First remove the Distributor  wire from the coil to the center of the
distributor cap. then remove the cap, and spin the starter while noting
which direction the rotor turns.  Then remove the No.1 Spark Plug.
Thats the one in front, closest to the radiator.

put your finger on the spark plug hole (not in it) to try and keep air from
escaping.  Then have an "ACCOMPLICE" bump the starter, so the engine just
moves a hair at a time.  When you feel the air pushing at your finger, then
stop bumping the starter.
 look at the wheel that has the fan belt running around it at the bottom of
the engine, below the fan blade.

 there is a line or mark on the outside circumference of that wheel.  there
is a pointer mounted onto the engine that will line up with that mark. try
and move the engine by turning the fan blade, if it will not turn the engine
in that manner, then you must put a socket wrench into the center of that
wheel, and turn it till the marks align.

Take off your distributor cap.  That has 4 spark plug wires running to it.
Noting where No1 Wire is located before you remove the cap.

When you remove the cap the tip of the rotor should be pointing directly to
it ,or just short of it.

By what you describe, your distributor is not aligned with the contact
points under the cap. and must be removed and dropped in at this point to
where the rotor is pointing to the No1 wire.  Be sure that the cap is
centered so you can move it both ways before you decide where the rotor
should point.  It's not that hard.  Use common sense and-

Good Luck, Pat