The differential debate

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: The differential debate
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:24:58 -0700
Hello All,

I need a little advice/input from the crowd about differentials. I am
intending to put a limited slip in my 67 2000 when I get him restored. I
have read with interest past discussions about them and have visited Gordon
Glasgow's web site and read his excellent article on them.

I purchased a 4.11 detroit locker for my car, but am now reconsidering. It
would seem to be way too harsh for city driving and let's face it, the car
will see more road time than track time.

Up at Solvang I got to drive Vic Laury's car which had a full comp setup.
Comp suspension, solexes, b-cam and a 4.38 LSD. I have to admit that the
acceleration of the car is astounding. Victor describes the car as "really
quick", but he also said that the drawback is that when you are at a decent
freeway speed, you are at 4500-5000 RPM all the time.

We got to talking about a 3.9 LSD. This would seem to me on the surface to
be a good differential to have as you would get the positraction without the
high gearing.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Andrew Murphy
1964 1500
1967 2000 Solex (with stock rear end for now)
SoCalROC