Solvang, an excuse to babble

To: datsun roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solvang, an excuse to babble
From: Roman Rist <ristguitars@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 23:12:17 -0700 (PDT)
The subject header says it all. So that being said as a disclaimer,
here we go.

I had a Blast!!!

there was the usual pre-solvang tension, getting the car somewhat
presentable, I had owed two people money (could I pull it off, or would
I get shot, or do I cower and not show up?)

Well, they were both there, I showed up and pulled it off...everyone
wins.

I stayed up way too late  the night before and didn't get everything
done with the car that I had wanted.

Driving up though, I realized, I was in a much more "show ready" car
than I was in last year, I got more sleep than last year and this
thought gave comfort to me as my insecurities of "my car is not worthy"
melted away.

Solvang is Quite an inpsiration to me, and I'm sure others. I met some
of the "veterans" and all are wonderful people.
Very nice to meet them and see the cars that I have only seen on a
digital reproduction.

Many wonderful cars there!
Joe Roach did a great job putting it together! Thank You!

I feel good also in being able to help Victor Laury get there..he has
helped me bunches.

I stole (borrowed) Andrew's solexes from his 67.5 and brought them over
to Vics. Even with that there were complications and Victor (for a
breif moment) decided to not take the roadster.

But he showed up AND WON A TROPHY! (sorry for leaking it).

Point is; It made me feel good, in a small way I helped.

Which brings me to the larger point;

The Roadster community is one of the few groups where no one gives a
rats ass about the BS and will accept you for who you are.
I have found roadster people to be very friendly, helpful, etc.
So my hat is off to all of you!

Driving back was a blast also! took from Solvang the 154 which leads
through the Santa Barbara mountain range down to Santa Barbara
what a great ride!!!

Back to LA and slept! I'm sure many got a good night's sleep as well.

on a side note, we received a great compliment from a Z guy. ( don't
know the name)
At any rate, he had the silver v-8 powered Z.
On the fun run, he was bringing up the rear. At dinner he said "man you
guys were Fast!"
just goes to show you, never under estimate a roadster on a good road
with drivers who are just a little nuts.

If you have made it this far, I commend you and thank you for reading.

Roman
sora blue 1600 ( the 500 dollar car)
66 1600  (the primer king)
67.5 1600 (no name yet)