Re: Restoration Database Clarification

To: "Matt Silvey" <matt12@rcip.com>,
Subject: Re: Restoration Database Clarification
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:08:40 -0500
>Since I sent out the letter advising you all that you could download a copy
>of the Restoration Database that I constructed, I have had a couple of
>people asking why it won't run on their computers.
>
>***I'm sorry to say that the database is not a stand alone program.  In
>order to use it, you MUST have Microsoft Access 97 or newer.  Access usually
>only came as a part of Microsoft Office Professional.  If your computer is
>not recognizing the .mdb file, you most likely do not have the correct
>version of Access if you have it at all.***
>
>Check your start menu under programs and see if Access is listed there
>(should be near Word if you have that, the icon for Access is a yellow or
>maroon key depending on the version).
>
>If you don't have Access and you have installed the database already, you
>can uninstall the database using the uninstall program that should be in the
>same location that the file itself is on your start menu.  Sorry for the
>mixup.
>
>I wish I had the programming ability to make this a stand alone program but,
>at this time I do not.

Matt,

I'll have to dig around on my wife's PC tomorrow (I'm of the Mac
persuasion), but I'd think you should be able to do an "Export as..." or
"Save as..." from Access to either a .dbf or .dif format. I'm a bit
prejudiced in that I prefer FileMaker Pro, but that may not be an option
from Access, plus if you did one of the generic (dbf/dif) formats, these
can be opened by Mac users with ClarisWorks/AppleWorks, PC users with
them and Excel, too. These are basic/generic database formats that just
about any database or spreadsheet will open. If you have any fancy
formatting and layouts, they don't convert, but the fields and records
do, along with the data of course.

Let me look in the morning and I'll let you know. You or someone with
Access will need to do the conversion, although there might be a couple
of file conversion utilities like the full version of Mac Link Plus that
might do it, too.

Later, Ron

The ACL Group
Arlington, Texas