Re: tranny re-build

To: "Teesun68" <teesun68@cadvision.com>,
Subject: Re: tranny re-build
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 23:29:34 -0400
Mike,

I know this may sound stupid but are you sure it's the right bearing? It
should be a snug fit as the main shaft is supposed to ride in the bearing
and there shouldn't be any play between the bearing and the main shaft. How
much force is needed I can't remember, but it should be snug and some force
needed to drive it onto the shaft.

One word of caution, the retainer is not strong so I think I used a piece of
pipe to drive the bearing with retainer onto the shaft. You can always use
longer bolts on the retainer to draw it closer but do it evenly and slowly
and make sure the shaft is lubed before doing it.

The way you spoke did you place the bearing in the retainer first? You have
to do that and not try to put the bearing in the retainer by drawing the
retainer on the bearing while it is on the shaft. I may have misunderstood
you.

Mike