race car update

Subject: race car update
From: Christopher Coker <cfcoker@home.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:25:18 -0400
Greetings Roadster Fans,

Today was the first day on the track with my G Prod 1600, at the Waterford
Hills driver's school.  I've been working on the car for a year and a half,
but the car hadn't been raced in about 8 years.

I must say how pleasantly surprised at how well things have been going.
There were a lot of things to figure out or get used to:  Carbon/Kevlar
brake pads and shoes, 5 speed close ratio transmission, racing slicks, etc.
The car was almost completely flawless the entire day.  We tweaked the carb
mixture a little, tightened one fuel fitting, and topped off the radiator
once.  All very minor stuff.  The handling on the car seemed to be fairly
neutral, which was encouraging.  I had three friends come out to help
'wrench' on the car, which allowed me to just focus on driving.  It was
great!

The biggest area of improvement needs to be in my driving.  I'm slowly
working up to speed, and my instructor likes my lines through the corners.
I just need lot's of seat time to get used to the slicks.

Tomorrow I'm planning on mounting a video camera in the car, and we'll try
to get some good footage at speed.

Happy Roadstering,

--
Chris Coker