Plugging smog heads?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Plugging smog heads?
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 20:47:01 -0400
  Working with an aluminum R16 smog head on my 1969 1600.  the smog pump and
tubing was removed by the PO.  The injectors in the head were welded shut at
the top of the threaded portion sticking out of the head.  Once I had the
motor apart I realized that the injector tube sticks all the way through the
exhaust port, blocking a good portion of it.  I do NOT have a 'chirping'
noise now and would rather avoid getting one.

  QUESTION?   Can the internal tubes be cut off so they no longer extend
into the port?  Or does that produce the 'chirp'?  I know the ultimate
solution is to make my donation to cancer research and order a set of plugs,
but I know there is a backlog currently.

Paul
OROC