Re: tires on a 1500

To: "Kurt Weisner" <datsun@freeze.com>,
Subject: Re: tires on a 1500
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:09:53 -0500
>    I am getting ready to start on my 65 1500. The first
>thing it needs is a set of tires. If I switch to stock
>14" wheels, what size is close to the 155-13's that are
>on it now? Can I run a 185-70/14 like I have on my 2000?

If the 155-13 size equates to 155/78-13, then (I think) you would need to
go down (numerically) one aspect ratio for each 10 mm increase in width
if you want to maintain the same rolling diameter for the tires. In other
words to match a 155/78-13 in a 185, you'd need a 185/50-13. I can't
remember ever seeing a 185/50-13 in anything except maybe a racing tire.

There's also the so-called Plus concept where you use a larger wheel
diameter and a lower aspect ratio tire to match the rolling diameter of
the wheel/tire combo based on a smaller diameter wheel. That's what
happens when you see these guys with tires that have very short sidewalls
on large (17 inch or bigger) wheels. There are tradeoffs here in that
while the shorter sidewalls tend to make steering response somewhat
crisper, the increased stiffness creates a bumpier ride and offers less
compliance to road hazards. Call Tire Rack and check out their website
<tirerack.com>
for more info on this option. Most of the 510 drivers are going to 14
inch and 15 inch because the selection of 13 inch tires is dwindling and
to sharpen handling a bit.

HTH, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)