Re: Run on Alternator

To: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us, nowroc@pacifier.com
Subject: Re: Run on Alternator
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:31:52 -0700
>> I just completed the GM alternator conversion.  Now the engine will
>> not turn off via the ignition key.

> Install an electric fuel pump, link it to the ignition key. The engine will
> shut down sooner or later!

Yes, but only when you run out of gas after several hours :-)

I believe what's happening is that you've got 'something' backwards
on the wiring. You have a wire that goes from the ignition switch
'on' position to the alternator, to tell the alternator to go on-line.
But if that wire is feding power BACK, from the alternator TO the
ignition circuit, then you have bypassed the switch. The ignition
coil stays energized, as will an electric fuel pump.

So the real question is why is an 'input' wire to the alternator providing
output power. Either it's the wrong wire, or the internal regulator is
malfunctioning.

You 'could' stick a diode in the line (anode, that is the end with a
stripe, connects to the alternator and the cathode, unmarked end, goes
to the ignition wiring). That will fix the run-on but NOT cure the underlying
problem.

-- John