Re: BIG BRAKE KITS?

To: "Seal, Marc" <MSeal@datatec.com>
Subject: Re: BIG BRAKE KITS?
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:57:01 -0700
It was asked:
> Has anyone gotten the brake kit offered by Datsun Part.com/Fairlady
> products? Do you like it and would you recommend it?

Several people have larger brakes on their cars, and I mean no
disrespect to them.

In my very personal opinion: street driving doesn't benefit much. If
you're racing or autocrossing or really pushing the car, sure, but the
stock brakes, IN GOOD CONDITION and everything adjusted right,
are good brakes.

Many Roadsters suffer from poor brakes because of leaky cylinders,
stuck pistons, overly thin rotors, soggy flex lines, and a cracked
firewall. Get all the parts up to snuff (and Stan Chernoff makes a nifty
firewall brace for the high screen cars!) and you WILL stop.

Now, at the COST for new parts, it may be cost-effective to swap to
something else...

BTW, Jaguar and Studebaker used the same front brake calipers
as us to stop their cars - and their rides are twice the weight.

-- John