Blow-Bye

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Blow-Bye
From: dtn <noji-1@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 20:43:31 -0700
List,

Last year as I was chasing the reason that I was getting a backfire.  I
mostly went after fuel, but in the end it was electrical.  In the
process I had enough of backfire that I dropped a valve seat.  I put in
a new head and things seemed to be much better.

After putting in the new head I was getting a bunch of oil coming out of
the valve cover.  My initial guess was that the valve seals were bad.

Well after a fairly long drive today and ending up with a puddle of oil
I tested the compression.

1:  170 (dry)
2:  122 (dry)/170 wet
3:  180 (dry)
4:  180 (dry)

So by guess is that damaged the rings at the same time as dropping the
valve seat.  Now the current question is can I pull the one bad piston
from the bottom.  Second question, is this a stupid idea?  I've got the
old head being worked on at the shop that Fred Kats suggested.  A
comment from the owner was, "I get about 4 or so of these per year".
It's nice to know that he gets a fair number of these in his shop.

Dana