Re: lower a-arm

To: "shifty" <shifty@best.com>,
Subject: Re: lower a-arm
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 17:43:13 -0500
>A quick question: The manual shows a piece "Spacer-rebound bumper" which
>fits under the lower bump stop mount. Think it might be a rubber piece,
>don't recall seeing it when I took the car apart. Is this still available
>and do I need it?

Leigh,

Can't say for sure, but in general things like that are meant to prevent
metal from banging into metal. At first I left the rear bumper rubbers
out of our first 510 when I first lowered it and promptly ruined a new
pair of Koni shocks. They also keep your spring rate from going infinite
because you abruptly run out of travel. Handling can get very dicey if
that happens. I'd suggest finding the original part or a suitable
replacement. Shouldn't be too difficult.

You might consider cutting down the stock piece to restore a bit of
travel lost in lowering the car, in fact I think something like that is
described in the Bob Sharp Comp Prep book, but I'd say you do need
something somewhat soft and squishy in that spot.

FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)