Re: Roadster EFI

To: James Uhl <jamesuhl@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Roadster EFI
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 11:22:16 -0600
James,

No assumptions on my part. Yep, just things to make it
easier to put everything together.

I'd say "go for it". The easiest way to get something up
and running on the U20 roadster is to use a donor system
off another 2000cc motor. Just do a harness/sensor/injector
transplant for the donor. Getting the wiring sorted out
is time consuming, but very doable.

Remember the MAF (Mass Air Flow) is the biggest item to
determine fuel rate. The O2 feedback sensor is only to
"tweak" the final 5% of the mixture. It doesn't allow
much of a range in running condition, but is to keep the
A/F in a tighter range.

For the intake manifold, as Thomas in Sweden pointed out,
just a simple "log" with port runners will work fine. For
the 510 folks, there were Japanese spec L18's with fuel
injection, hence the manifold being a bolt on. Then a donor
from a later model Nissan for the rest of the system.

Side note: ON Motorola's web site should be an application
note AN1791 (www.mot.com/sps). It talks about interfacing
a 68F375 microcontroller to various automotive sensors.
Seems someone was thinking of the Formula SAE programm,
as lots of the students build their own fuel injection
systems.

Tom Walter    '68 2000
Austin, TX

James Uhl wrote:

> Tom,
> You're assuming I don't already have these things.... ;-)
[Regarding lots of machine tools in the garage].