Re: Engine hoist revisited

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine hoist revisited
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 10:29:43 -0600
>Northern tool has a good deal.  A 2 ton hoist with a leveller included free.
>  Check their website:
>
>http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=421
>&cgmenbr=6970&PHOTOS=on

I was at a local O'Reilly's yesterday and they had a nice Delco branded
unit that had removable legs (stowed vertically on the base) and four
wheels on the base for $220. Only problem with mail order is the freight
cost. These things are heavy. Fortunately for us there's a Harbor Freight
in Ft. Worth and a Northern Tools just north of Dallas.

In any case, IMHO buying is a very viable alternative to renting unless
you can rent for considerably less than the $50/day that seems common. To
pull the motor, do whatever you need to and then put it back in, that's
an absolute minimum of two days rental which would involve two trips to
get the hoist and take it back. If you spend around $200 to buy a hoist
and use it for however long you need at a relaxed pace, and then sold it
for $125, you're $25 ahead. I would have jumped at such an opportunity
when I bought mine, but couldn't find any in the local classified ads.

Trust me, if you've not done this sort of thing before it ALWAYS takes
longer than you think it will. Not being in a rush to get a rental piece
back allows you to take things slower and be careful.

FWIW, Ron