Re: Engine Hoist

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Hoist
From: Thomas in Sweden <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:09:28 +0200
I'm using an engine hoist with an extendable arm.
I think I paid $250.- new for it 16 years ago.
This one can be taken apart and stored away
but it's not foldable like some other types.

A few things to look at before purchase.
Maximum load, ask if you can try it. Some have
very small hydraulic cylinders so you have to
use a lot of strength to move the pump handle
when the engine is hanging on it.

Will the wheels go under the car or do you have
to put the car on jackstands before using it.

What's the minimum/maximum height of the arm.

There are foldable engine hoists that can be stored
away.

Another practical thing is a square tube bar with hooks
at both ends. Inside there's a bolt with a hook attached.
If you use an impact wrench at the bolt head you can
move the hook forward/rearward to balance the engine
to any angle during removal/installation. If anyone ask
I can post a picture of this tool on my site.

Thomas