Re: Paint / Body Questions

To: <jon_wissler@pngc.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Paint / Body Questions
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 21:04:21 -0500
If you can't afford to do the paint job now then wait. It'll cost about 500
or so to media blast and you really don't want to shoot the car using cans
of paint. You'd be better off sanding the car and having Maaco shoot it
after you stripped everything off. From what a few people who restored some
cars on the cheap said that's what they did and the cars didn't look bad,
not bad at all. I think they spent about 300 for the paint job and they wet
sanded it down themselves and then polished it out. They also got a two pack
job - polyurethane. Just tape everything off you don't want painted like the
suspension and frame. Do the engine compartment too.

Media blasting IMHO is the best way to remove paint and probably the
cheapest way other than you sanding all the carcinogenic paint off yourself
or using paint remover which is no picnic and is hazardous to everything,
including yourself. BTDT

As for shooting the car with fenders, etc on or off, I'd do it with
everything off but make sure all the body panels line up and all adjustments
are made prior to painting anything. Also see if the body shop will do it as
it's a lot more work but worth it. The downside is you can scratch the parts
trying to put them back on, especially the doors as they aren't that easy to
mount and align correctly. I use a body shop and that's the way they shoot
cars when in an accident or when restoring one.

Mike